11.28.2010

The Reality about Ciggarette Smokers

After reading a personal experience it drove me to think on a mere truth of a cruel reality which most addictions drive us into while we think we driving it.  If we really drive it.

Are we really the drivers? Do we control our addictions? Have you stopped and monitored your own addiction, for a whole week?  You will come to the conclusion : We addicts don't drive the addiction, it's the addiction that drives us, wraps us up and poisons our thinking to a point that we decieve ouselves with saying that we do control what we do, to saying  "I can control it, it doesn't really affect me".


Oh boy, this is when we really need to analyze ourselves the most, no offense consumers, but really, you do.

Let's face it, if when we wake up and make a quick recap of what you need to do on that day, and if in those thoughts there is a big giant picture of  you enjoying a cigarrette, you need to stop the tape. 

Should that really go there?


  Now, many smokers today, specially those who have been smoking for a long time now, when being reborn in christ, we don't usually think it's a must to stop smoking...since there were major things or sins in our lives or since there was something else that we think that at that point was actually consuming our lives and pulling us down into a deeper tunnel. 

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV



Honestly I think that to stay with the need, the thought, the "smoking habit"  it really being the secondary addiction or sin is just a pure excuse of leaving it all behind, it's as if we want to stay with something, something that we can enjoy or that resembles something about us. So to think, it resembles to the others, or that we really enjoy. 

I think that we our just afraid of leaving it all behind, leaving the old person or some things that we enjoyed behind but we thought did no harm; yet just that it was one of the simple most complex detail to what  summed up to our sinking, of what drove us to sink more. The fact that we smoke. It was as if through our smoking we let the doors open for more sins to be welcomed  into our lives and take possession of it.

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty, wherewith Christ hath made us free,
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." Galatians 5:1


  Sons and daughters of God, brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ, why do we still want to carry with the old. 

I just read the excuse that because the bible doesn't state "cigarrettes" or anything as such, it is not really considered as a sin, and so my brothers and sisters, if it doesn't state anything about the smoking sticks then I'll have to ask you what does it states about addiction? Do you recall? 

Allow me to remind you, that the addiction scriptures defines addiction as a sin of self-will and determination. Whoever chooses to live their life without accepting and submitting to God’s will for the humanity, pays back of his acts. Sometimes self-sufficiency can take us away from God and eventually, the reality of life. 


Recovery is eventually a process. God is working within our souls to renovate us and to bring us back to health and sanity. The challenge for the human being is to replace the pleasurable thoughts that come from drinking, drugs or foods with something that is really worth giving attention to. 

At times, growth within spirituality can be painful and scary yet there cannot be growth without change, there is no change without fear or loss and there is no loss without pain.

Every change brings along some sort of loss, it is necessary for you to untangle yourself of your old customs in order to experience the new ones.


Many of us,  manage to construct our identities around our flaws or defects to such extent that we eventually say "it is who I am"  carrying an unconscience worry of "who will I be if I let myself go".

 Sadly but true, this fear would definitely stop your growth.



 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin  because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. Romans 6:6-7


 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.  Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.  For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.  Romans 6:12-14

  Understanding how strong this addiction can be, how it can manipulate us completely to the point as it states in Romans 6:16, that we become its servants in obedience; 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 

By doing this, we are not sickening our bodies but also sickening our souls. And this, I can asure you, as a personal experience, every time Christ would cleanse me from this addiction and I would still smoke and I would feel this same way, as if I were sickening the spirit inside of me. It felt as something strong inside of me and a strong voice, no longer small voice, saying "you are poisoning me."

I began  to dislike the sin, the smell, the pleasure but I still felt as if  something pushed me to it, I didn't want to smoke but my carnal desire made me smoke.

 14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 

 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. Romans 7:14-21




It wasn't until I finally admitted that I was being driven by this force, this evil force which I detested so much and finally requesting my LORD to not allow anything to control my life other than him, was the day he cut my addiction like a sword.


"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36 



To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.



In full gratitude.

LmR

No comments: